Originally founded as a mission church of St. David’s in Radnor, St. Alban’s became part of the Newtown Square community in 1922, meeting first in the Newtown Square Fire House. In 1924, land was purchased on Bishop Hollow Road, where a temporary building was erected, and the church officially adopted the name of Saint Alban.
Later, in 1945, St. Alban’s became a mission under the Convocation of Chester. Five acres at the present location were acquired from the Pennsylvania Hospital Farm in 1948, and ground for the current church itself was broken in 1950. Several of the original apple trees from the hospital’s farm still thrive on the property.
St. Alban’s became a self-supported parish in 1954, and the ministry of the parish and the buildings of our campus soon expanded. For decades now, St. Alban’s has opened its doors to the community through the Mother’s Day Out program, the Thrift Shop, and the Model Railroad Club. We continue to host meetings of Alcoholics Anonymous and Debtors Anonymous, and a Korean Presbyterian congregation shares our space on Sunday afternoons.
What’s St. Alban’s like today? Check out this article about our parish recently published in the magazine of the Episcopal Diocese of Pennsylvania, Caminos. Or read about our new growth in the June 2019 edition of Newtown Square Magazine.